The Niakwa Country Club was launched in the fall of 1921 by a few enthusiasts who envisioned a need in Winnipeg for a high quality golf course, close to the city.
Set out on the floodplain of the meandering Seine River, the Niakwa Country Club course is an original Stanley Thompson design that first opened for play in 1923. The layout has been modified a number of times down the years, most notably in the 1970s by Robbie Robinson and Geoff Cornish, and in 1990, when a new clubhouse was built.
Starting in 2006, the club embarked on a major improvement program when Doug Carrick was called in to upgrade the layout. This resulted in the renovation of all the bunkers on the course, whilst still maintaining the integrity of Thompson’s original work.
To provide you more details, a new 180-yard par three replaced the old par four 2nd and the 15th was extended by moving the tee over a hundred yards back to create a delightful new short par four. Completing the project, three greens (6, 11 and 12) were all replaced.
The most difficult hole is certainly the Hole 6th. A par 5 of 499 yards from the blue tees.