Inverness Golf Club was formed in 1883. Thereafter, the club members played golf at nearby Longman before moving to Culcabock, erecting their first clubhouse there in 1908. James Braid advised on course changes in 1921 then again in 1937.
Located only one-mile south east of the city centre, Inverness Golf Club is a parkland course that has been used in the past to hold the Northern Open for Scottish golf professionals. The overall yardage is 6,256 yards, configured as five lengthy par threes, eleven par fours and just two short par fives, both of which are played early in the round.
A road intersects the course and the Mill Burn comes into play on several holes. From the 12th tee, there are outstanding views over Inverness to Kessock Bridge and beyond to the Black Isle.
The signature hole on the course is the long par four, 475- yard, 14th called “Midmills” which requires length off the tee followed by accuracy with an approach to a green which has a very narrow entrance.
The last hole, “Deoch an Doruis” – translated as “a drink at the door” – is another long par four, measuring 461 yards, which is one of the finest finishing holes in the North of Scotland. A par here makes the refreshment to follow at the 19th hole all the more palatable.